Monday, October 20, 2014

All about the Selfie

I WANT TO ADDRESS THIS: 

We are living in the selfie generation. Everyone wants a selfie with a famous person. If you met someone and you don't have a selfie, Did it really happen? 


First off, why do I have to take a picture with everyone I meet? Why do I have to post it on social media? 


Is it to glorify my self image even more, to make my so-called "friends" jealous, or to flaunt my status in someones face? See, I don't want to do that. I don't want to put other people down and make them feel inferior just for my sake, for me to feel powerful and superior. That is low and frankly, it's not classy. 


I will be the first to admit that I don't have much friends. Yes, I said it and it frightens me to have that information out there. But truly, I don't have very many friends. 
I have over 800 facebook friends but only about 4 or 5 that I actually talk to and hang out with. Only 1 or 2 of those actually know ME

If you knew me several years ago, you would say that I am super social and I make friends easily. Yes, it's still true but it's not the same. I know a lot of people, A LOT. In fact, I meet new people everyday but they are acquaintances, these are surface relationships. 

True friends are so hard to find because of our busy lives. I will be honest and say that I could put more time into creating lasting friendships but I don't because of my schedule. Every free moment that I have is invested into my future. Is that really the sacrifice that needs to be made to get ahead in my career? 





Another thing I wanted to mention is that I meet a lot of artists' and seemingly important people. One of my rules is that I do not take pictures with famous people I meet. In return, I get an experience. I get to have memories. 

Please note that PICTURES ARE NOT MEMORIES, THEY ARE PICTURES. Memories are memories. I know, its seems so basic, but it's not for so many people! 

I get to have memories like walking to the gas station with the Newsboys in Tacoma, having dinner with the Hillsong United boys (and girl), working in-studio with Jackie and Bender on KissFM, setting up a merch booth with Propaganda, meeting random people at a Foy Vance concert, hanging out side-stage with All Things New, hosting a mall party with Emblem3, and as of yesterday, having lunch and dinner with Lecrae, Andy Mineo, and the crew. These moments are worth so much more to me than a still picture. 


These are real memories and experiences that I have and they are not on Facebook or twitter or Instagram and i'm okay with that.


These encounters are real and working with these people gives a sense of purpose and satisfaction that no amount of facebook likes can ever give you. 


Please, I beg you, when you meet people, don't ask them for pictures. It's sad and desperate. 



Plus it makes them feel like they are being used to boost your social status. Artists' are especially intuitive and feel emotions very deeply, they feel when they are being used but they can also feel when they can open up to and trust someone. 




Last thought: Imagine meeting an artist as being equivalent to going on a first date, and as soon as you meet your date, you pull out your phone and say "selfie?". ugh what a turnoff.  






Ps. To answer the question, I DID take a picture and selfie with Lecrae, but that was because his tour manager pushed me to do it and Lecrae was like, "yeah, lets!". I will go on my literal wall at home, in my room. 







No comments:

Post a Comment